Prof. Ulrich W. Thonemann, Ph.D
Supply Chain Management, Optimization, Information Systems, Behavioral Operations Management, General Management
- Since 2015 University of Cologne Executive School, Cologne, Germany Managing Director
- Since 2015 University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany First Vice Dean
- 2010 – 2015 University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany Vice Dean External Relations
- Since 2010 German Academy of Science – Full Member
- Since 2004 University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany Full Professor and Director of Department of Supply Chain Management & Management Science
- Since 2008 Verein für Socialpolitik – Full Member
- Since 2006 Production and Operations Management, Associate Editor
- Since 2004 Operations Research Spectrum, Co-Editor
- 2011 - 2014 DFG - German National Science Foundation – Design and Behavior ()
- 2000 - 2004 University of Münster, Münster, Germany Full Professor and Director of Institute of Supply Chain Management
- 1999 - 2000 Terman Fellow
- 1998 - 2000 Stanford University, Stanford, CA Assistant Professor
- 1998 - 2000 Anderson Faculty Scholar
- 1995 - 1998 McKinsey & Company Inc., Cologne, Germany Management Consultant
- 1994 - 1995 Stanford University, Stanford, CA Acting Assistant Professor Research on product design application of research results in automotive industry
- 1993 - 1994 Stanford University, Stanford, CA Teaching Assistant
- 1993 Kleist Fellow
- 1992 - 1994 Stanford University, Stanford, CA Ph.D. in Production and Operations Management
- 1992 Outstanding academic achievements at Stanford University
- 1991 - 1992 Stanford University, Stanford, CA M.S. in Production and Operations Management
- 1991 University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA Graduate studies in Computer Science
- 1990 University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA Graduate studies in Operations Research
- 1989 University of Nottingham, Nottingham, Great Britain Graduate studies in Economics
- 1987 - 1992 University of Paderborn, Paderborn, Germany Diplom-Wirtschaftsingenieur (M.S.), a double major degree in computer science and business administration
- 1986 - 1987 Siemens AG, Hannover, Germany IT Service Manager
- 1984 - 1985 Military Service, Detmold, Germany
- 1981 - 1984 Siemens AG, Paderborn, Germany Apprenticeship
- M. Becker-Peth, E. Katok, and U. W. Thonemann, Designing Buyback Contracts for Irrational but Predictable Newsvendors, Management Science, Vol. 59, No. 8, 2013; online-Appendix.
- G. Bolton, A. Ockenfels, and U.W. Thonemann, Managers and Students as Newsvendors, Management Science, 2012, Vol. 58, No. 12, pp. 2225-2233.
- M.A. Sieke, R.W. Seifert, and U.W. Thonemann, Designing Service Level Contracts for Supply Chain Coordination, Production and Operations Management, 2012, Vol. 21, Issue 4, pp. 698-714.
- Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 319–341.
- F. Papier and U.W. Thonemann, Capacity Rationing in Stochastic Rental Systems with Advance Demand Information, Operations Research, 2010, Vol.58, Issue 2, pp. 274-288.
- F. Papier and U.W. Thonemann, Queuing Models for Sizing and Structuring Rental Fleets, Transportation Science, 2008, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 302–317.
- K. Zhu and U.W. Thonemann, Modeling the Benefits of Sharing Future Demand Information, Operations Research, 2004, Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 136-147.
- U.W. Thonemann, A.O. Brown, and W.H. Hausman, Easy Quantification of Improved Spare Parts Inventory Policies, Management Science, 2002, Vol. 48, No. 9, pp. 1213-1225.
- U. W. Thonemann, Improving supply chain Performance by sharing advance demand Information, European Journal of Operational Research, 2002, Vol. 142, No. 1, pp.81-107.
- U.W. Thonemann and M.L. Brandeau, Optimal Commonality in Component Design, Operations Research, 2000, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 1-19.
- U.W. Thonemann and M.L. Brandeau, Optimal Storage Assignment Policies for Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems with Stochastic Demands, Management Science, 1998, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 142-148.