Prof. Dr. Karsten Hank
Population aging; intergenerational family relations; sociology of health; demography; life-course analysis; cross-nationally comparative research
- Since 2010 Full Professor (W3) of Sociology at the Department of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Cologne
- 2006 Habilitation (in Sociology), University of Mannheim
- 2003 - 2010 Head of the Research Unit ‘Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe’ at the Mannheim Research Institute for the Economics of Aging (MEA), University of Mannheim
- 2002 Dr. rer. pol. (in Sociology), University of Rostock
- 1999 - 2003 Pre-/Post-doctoral Researcher in the Laboratory of Contemporary European Fertility and Family Dynamics at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock
- 1998 Diplom-Sozialwissenschaftler, University of Bochum
- P.M. Lersch, M. Jacob & K. Hank (2017): Parenthood, Gender and Personal Wealth, European Sociological Review (forthcoming).
- A. Steinbach & K. Hank (2016): Intergenerational Relations in Older Stepfamilies: A Comparison of France, Germany, and Russia, Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, 71 (5), 880-888.
- K. Hank & V. Salzburger (2015): Gay and lesbian adults' relationship with parents in Germany, Journal of Marriage and Family, 77 (4), 866-876.
- P.-C. Ko & K. Hank (2014): Grandparents Caring for Grandchildren in China and Korea: Findings From CHARLS and KLoSA, Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, 69 (4), 646-651.
- M. Brandt, C. Deindl & K. Hank (2012): Tracing the Origins of Successful Aging: The Role of Childhood Conditions and Social Inequality in Explaining Later Life Health, Social Science & Medicine, 74 (9), 1418-1425.
- A. Börsch-Supan, M. Brandt, K. Hank & M. Schröder (eds.) (2011): The Individual and the Welfare State - Life Histories in Europe, Berlin / Heidelberg: Springer.
- K. Hank (2011): Societal Determinants of Productive Aging: A Multilevel Analysis Across 11 European Countries, European Sociological Review, 27 (4), 526-541.
- K. Hank (2010): Childbearing History, Later-Life Health, and Mortality in Germany, Population Studies, 64 (3), 275-291.
- K. Hank (2007): Proximity and Contacts Between Older Parents and Their Children: A European Comparison, Journal of Marriage and Family, 69 (1), 157-173.
- G. Andersson, K. Hank, M. Rønsen & A. Vikat (2006): Gendering Family Composition: Sex Preferences for Children and Childbearing Behavior in the Nordic Countries, Demography, 43 (2), 255-267.