English language skills / FILTERtest

Proof of sufficient English language skills is required for application to the Studies Abroad Programme (STAP). The following STAP application groups may submit their proof of English language skills with a FILTERtest result of the School of English and a minimum score of B2:

  • STAP Bachelor, applicant group: all
  • STAP Master, applicant group: STAP MA Political Sciences and STAP MSc Social Sciences

Individual universities may have specific requirements regarding English language skills. These are listed in the WEX International database under Language Requirements.

For all other applicant groups, the English Certificates listed in the STAP Master Application Manual (see 'Application - Links and downloads' on the top of this page) apply.

We recommend applicants who choose the FILTERtest to register early for the tests. Upcoming FILTERtest dates and the registration form will be published on the website of the STAP programme as soon as they are available.

All earlier test dates are fully booked. Please register directly with the School of English. Information on the FILTERtests can be found PDF here.

The School of English (‘Englisches Institut’) can communicate test results directly to the ZIB WiSo, in order to guarantee submission of the application by the given deadline. We cannot guarantee a FILTERtest appointment for every applicant.

Financing possibilities

ERASMUS programme for exchange terms and internships in Europe

Information on the ERASMUS programme for exchange terms and internships in Europe can be found via the following link.


Further funding possibilities for studies abroad, research placements and internships

There are numerous possibilities for students and graduates to apply for financial support through various institutions. A list of recommended links can be found below.

The Central International Office (AAA) of the University of Cologne is responsible for awarding scholarships within the framework of the DAAD programme PROMOS; for further information of funding possibilities please visit  informieren.

A number of study and exchange programmes are funded through scholarships administered by ZIB WiSo. The requirements for financial support for students at the University of Cologne are

  • enrolment at the University,

  • German citizenship (as a rule)

Information on funding possibilities for international students can be found on the DAAD and the  ERASMUS websites. Another source of information is the Central International Office (AAA). Note: You can rent out your flat / room to guest students for the length of your stay abroad.


Recommended links

International BAföG (Auslands-BAföG)

Databases to research scholarships for studies abroad:

Further possibilities to receive scholarships

  • The GIZ supports internships abroad (typically after successful graduation from the home university).

  • The GFPS-Polska (Society for student exchange in Central and Eastern Europe, Gemeinschaft für studentischen Austausch in Mittel- und Osteuropa) supports the academic exchange of students and graduates between Poland and Germany..

Renting out your flat in Cologne

You are going abroad to study or do an internship and would like to rent out your flat for this period? The housing platform of our partner  HousingAnywhere may be of interest. For a brief description of the platform please visit PDF this site.