Excellent through internationally renowned research
To promote our international standing, we have identified six "Key Research Profile Areas" to help us provide individual excellence through innovative interdisciplinary approaches in special research units:
- Design & Behavior
- Behavioral Management Science
- Digital Transformation
- Demography and Social Inequality
- Markets and Governments
- Value and Risk
We strive to develop insights through rigorous fundamental research, which is published in relevant international specialist magazines and is pertinent to business practice, the economy and the development of society.
Indicators of our success: our ranking positions
Thanks to our long-established subject variety, top-level research, practical relevance and internationality, we stand out in the national and international business education landscape. Our current positions in the Handelsblatt Research Ranking and various other university rankings are testimony to the success of this strategy:
- Handelsblatt Economics ranking 2015: third best German university
- Handelsblatt Business Administration ranking 2014: fourth best German university
- Times Higher World University Ranking 2015-2016: University of Cologne ranks 156th and 15th among German universities
- 2016 SCM Journal List Ranking: 52nd place, ahead of TU Munich, WHU Otto Beisheim School of Management and the University of Mannheim
- AIS 8 rankings (Journals: EJIS, ISJ, ISR, JAIS, JMIS, MISQ, JSIS, JIT), based on 2013-2015: rank 61 for the University of Cologne worldwide. If "Europe, Africa, Middle East" and the years 2013-2015 are selected, the University of Cologne ranks 11th and, within Germany, fifth.
For more information, please visit the Rankings section on the WiSo Faculty's website.
A thriving research community
In 2015, more than 20 guest professors stayed at our Faculty for an extended period of time to work together with our researchers to develop new insights. We also invited researchers to 16 world-leading conferences. In 2015, the Faculty members generated a total of 190 research papers in peer-reviewed journals and won more than 20 internationally renowned research prizes.
You can find detailed information in our annual research report.
Excellent education of the next generation of academics is also very important to us. PhD students teach and conduct research in an extremely international and dynamic environment on an integrated doctoral programme at our Cologne Graduate School in Management, Economics and Social Sciences (CGS), or through one of the Faculty's departments.
We offer all of our academics and researchers ideal conditions both in terms of work environment and work/life balance and special incentives for particularly motivated staff.