Prof. Dr. Merlin Schaeffer
Social and Ethnic Stratification, Group Conflict, Xenophobia, Ethnic Diversity, Quantitative Methods
- Since 2015 Professor (W2) of Demography and Social Inequality at the Institute of Sociology and Social Psychology (ISS), University of Cologne
- 2014 - 2015 Visiting Professor (W3) of Sociology at the Institute of Sociology, Media and Cultural Studies, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- 2009 - 2015 Researcher at the Department “Migration Integration Transnationalization”, WZB – Berlin Social Science Center
- 2012 Dr. of Social and Behavioral Sciences, University of Amsterdam (UvA).
- 2010 Visiting Scholar at Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University.
- 2008 Master of Arts Social Sciences, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin.
- Legewie, J. & Schaeffer, M. (2016). Contested Boundaries: Explaining Where Ethnoracial Diversity Provokes Neighborhood Conflict. American Journal of Sociology, 122(1):125–61.
- Schaeffer, M., Höhne, J., & Teney, C. (2016). Income Advantages of Poorly-Qualified Immigrant Minorities. Why school drop-outs of Turkish origin earn more in Germany. European Sociological Review, 32(1):93–107.
- Koopmans, R. & Schaeffer, M. (2016). Statistical and Perceived Diversity and Their Impacts on Neighborhood Social Cohesion in Germany, France and the Netherlands. Social Indicators Research, 125(3):853–83.
- Koopmans, R., & Schaeffer, M. (2015). Relational Diversity and Neighbourhood Cohesion. Unpacking Variety, Balance and In-Group Size. Social Science Research, 53, 162–176.
- Koopmans, R., Lancee, B. & Schaeffer, M. (Eds.) (2015). Social Cohesion and Immigration in Europe and North America: Mechanisms, Conditions, and Causality. London: Routledge.
- Schaeffer, M. (2014). Ethnic Diversity and Social Cohesion: Immigration, Ethnic Fractionalization and Potentials for Civic Action. Farnham: Ashgate.
- Schaeffer, M. (2014). The Social Meaning of Inherited Financial Assets. Moral Ambivalences of Intergenerational Transfers. Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 15(1):Art. 13.
- Schaeffer, M. (2013). Can Competing Diversity Indices Inform us About Why Ethnic Diversity Erodes Social Cohesion? A Test of Five Diversity Indices in Germany. Social Science Research, 42(3), 755–774.
- Schaeffer, M. (2013). Which Groups are Mostly Responsible for Problems in your Neighbourhood? Ethnic and Racial Studies, 36(1), 156–178.
- Schaeffer, M. (2013). Inter-Ethnic Neighbourhood Acquaintances of Migrants and Natives in Germany: On the Brokering Roles of Inter-Ethnic Partners and Children. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 39(8), 1219–1240.